The Davis-Edwards House is one of the oldest structures in Walton County. The house was named to reflect the fact that two families - one following the other - lived in the house for almost 125 years. Although no written records of the construction have been located, the building methods of the house indicate that it was built between 1830 and 1835 in the Federal style. However, it is believed to have been remodeled in 1845 by Josiah Clark in the more fashionable Greek Revival style.
In 1846 the house and its surrounding 34 acres were purchased from Mr. Clark by Charles Davis, a bachelor attorney from Vermont. In 1848 he married Mary Patillo and together they raised four children. Charles Davis died in 1879. In 1883, John Prior Edwards and his wife, Catherine Jane Johnston, purchased the house and five acres of land. It was later passed on to their son Benjamin, who with his wife Mary Neel (Mollie) Walker had three children - Edith, Mary & John. Mary and John lived in the house from the time of their birth until their deaths in the 1960's.
The Davis-Edwards House was acquired by Jerry and Betty Forrester 1970 after John Edwards' death in 1969. The property was then deeded over to the Historical Society of Walton County in 1972. Structural preservation and restoration were completed in 1976.
The Davis-Edwards House has been furnished to reflect how the Davis family might have lived during the mid-1800's. The furnishings include a number of furniture styles including Queen Anne, Hepplewhite, Sheraton, Empire and Victorian.
The interior of the Davis-Edwards House retains most of its original woodwork and hardware. A simple trim was used around the doors and windows on most of the second floor and likely reflects the style used in the original building. A much more deeply carved trim is used on the first floor and is thought to have been added when the house was remodeled in the Greek Revival style.
There are six mantel pieces in the house, each with their own unique, decorative elements. Most of the home's doors have their original carpenter brand locks in place.